Saturday, January 1, 2011

Realistic Resolutions

I can't actually remember the last time I celebrated the dawn of the New Year.  I suspect it was very early last decade, BK (Before Kids).

I also can't remember the last time I made a New Year's Resolution I had any intention of keeping.

Probably 90% of people's goals include: 'lose weight', 'cut down on booze and/or chocolate', 'get fit', 'win the lotto'... if people were actually serious about doing these things, they wouldn't need to wait until January 1st to get started.

I would like to lose weight, cut down on booze and chocolate, get fit and win the lotto.  I'd really like that. 

But I am not resolved to go and actually do any of those things short of occasionally buying a lotto ticket or heading to the gym with my friend for a chat and a brisk walk on the treadmill.

So I see little point in sitting around on New Years Eve writing a list of goals I can't possibly achieve. 

However If I was going to write a list of resolutions I planned on keeping it might include the following:

* try and not eat so much chocolate that you actually gain more weight
* if you are going to drink too much wine, make sure it's actually nice wine that you like
* ditto for chocolate
* don't make dodgy excuses for why you can't go to the gym.  If you're going to make excuses, they have to be really creative
* read at least one story to at least one of my children at least every day (or three)
* write something every day, even if it's just a list of things you want to write about
* weed the garden sometime before June
* stop complaining about how small the new walk-in-robe is, it's probably perfect for the very small number of clothes that actually still fit.

1 comment:

  1. we are on the same page here shannon! I posted something similar about resolutions on my blog...not a fan of them and thinking that making them small, if at all is the best way to go about it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...