Friday, June 24, 2011

About six inches below the bread line

I'm thrilled to announce I have my first paid writing job.

I spent two hours the other day writing an article, taking some original photos and submitting it (you can read it here).  For that I will earn $1.25 a month for the next 24 months.

Yes, you read that correctly.  $30 over the next 2 years. Score.

You see, Mr Sensible came home the other day and suggested in his rather off-hand way that maybe I should get a job.  Well, he didn't say it quite like that, he merely pointed out that Young Aunty was earning a respectable income tutoring students at university and I was.. well, earning nothing.

So I did what any self-respecting job seeker should do, and I sought on Seek.  Incredibly enough there were three positions for writers in Perth, and since I had no experience in the finance sector and didn't want full time work, the only one remaining was a reviewing position for Weekend Notes (no, I hadn't heard of it either).  Their basic premise is: do something on the weekend and write about it. 

So I applied, I was accepted and now I am their 16th ranked writer (not bad since I was ranked 56th when I first started... my first piece must have been a hell of a good one).  My goal is to get in the top 10 within 8 weeks (apparently they get offered the free stuff to review). 

So here I am, finally, a honest to god, paid writer.  Now I figure all I have to do is write another 199 this week and every week thereafter, and I will be earning a decent wage.

*****
The more people who read my stories the better my ranking will be, so feel free to swing by once in a while and see what I am writing about.  I have just submitted a piece on birthday parties for kids, with any luck it will be up in a couple of days.

1 comment:

  1. Woo-hoo! Congrats Shan. Small beginnings lead to bigger things, especially in the writing field, so actually I think this is a huge step!

    I sold my first piece for $25 after sending probably ten or fifteen fully-written travel articles out ... so on an hourly rate that's probably similar to you. And you're going to get more links.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...