Friday, November 11, 2011

My life by the numbers

Lately I have been feeling a bit rough around the edges, a bit tired and grumpy.  I'm sure I wasn't always this irritable. I'm sure I used be a rollicking good time, full of fun and energy.
I am only 34, so what is my problem?

I will tell you what my problem is...

Since September 2006 I have been pregnant for 23 months (so far).

I have breastfed for over 20 months.

I have had morning sickness for a whole year.

I have gone on or off two different types of pill 10 times or more, with all the hormone changes that comes with it (good times, huh hubby...)

I have gained and lost over 30kg (more gain than loss though).

I have been to over 400 Mother's Group and Playgroup sessions.

I have done over 700 loads of washing.

I have done over 3,500 pigtails.

And I have changed over 1,600 nappies.

Those numbers terrify me a bit, especially when I think about the fact that they will only get bigger (especially the weight gain one).

There are other numbers, harder to calculate perhaps, but more important.

I have cuddled my daughters more than 20,000 times.

There have been hundreds of 'I love you Mummy'.

I have had over 1,600 nights of being able to watch my child sleeping peacefully (why are children so beautiful when they are asleep?)

When the Blonde Bombshell was born I was so enamoured I told her I would kiss her a million times before she turned one.  My maths ability had obviously disappeared along with my waist line and it took me a while to realise this would mean I would need to kiss her almost 3,000 times a day to achieve this.  That's two kisses a second, not leaving much time for anything else.

Perhaps if I had spent more time kissing her and less time doing laundry then I might not be so grumpy four years down the track. I'd probably also be quite stinky by now, so we could have nixed Baby Number Two and Three.

I'm still working on those million kisses, but it is a number I am willing to achieve. The good thing is, now the Bombshell is at an age when she can help me, so we are working on it together. 

I don't know what number the little kiss on the nose she just gave me would have been.

It's probably not important anyway.


3 comments:

  1. Oh, beautiful! I said the same thing about a million kisses to Ruben. Only I never worked out quite how many that would be so I have only just realised how long that will take even at my frequent rate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for commenting guys.

    When the Bombshell was 3 months old - I did some maths based on $$$:

    I have calculated what I have been doing with my time: 380 hours breastfeeding (equivalent to 10 weeks full time work!), 115 hours changing nappies (3 weeks full time work), and 75 hours washing baby clothes (2 weeks full time work).

    So, the $4,000 baby bonus then works out to be about $7 an hour for the 15 weeks I have been a mum ($1.50 an hour when you take into account mothering is a 24 hour job).

    That really puts into context the value society puts on mothering.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...